Sunday 18 May 2014

American Vogue vs. British Vogue


I've always been interested by American magazines and I do buy American Vogue when I can, along with Teen Vogue and Nylon. I also buy a number of British magazines, I thought I would compare the US and British editions.



American Vogue

The April issue of American Vogue was possibly the most controversial cover of all time. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West cover shot by Annie Leibovitz, cause speculation over been the first rapper, interracial couple and reality tv star to appear on the cover. Some people said they didn't deserve the honour but it ended up selling over half a million copies which is more than BeyoncĂ©'s and Michelle Obama's.
American Vogue is more commerical with editorial adverts inserted from big american companies such as Nordstrom and Saks. Throughout the magazine, there is a large proportion of editorials in comparison to British Vogue. Throughout the magazine, there is more of a focus on the hottest parties, socialites and celebrity culture. 


British Vogue

Nigella Lawson was British Vogue's cover girl for April in a sophisticated shoot. Also deemed to be a controversial shoot as Nigella's personal life has hit the headlines recently. The shoot is very laid back and minimal which is a huge contrast between the American issue which was a huge spectacle.
The content within the magazine is very specific to a target audience with articles about politics, health and psychology. 

Even though these issue's are both Vogue, I find the American issue more commercial and relateable and the British one aims for the elite. Targeting the more well off folks who tend to live in the countryside. In my opinion, I'd rather buy ELLE as I personally can't relate to Vogue and since they revamped the magazine a couple years back it changed dramatically and targets an older demographic with a higher income.

No comments:

Post a Comment